Catholicism in Southport, Lancashire 1800 to 1900
Peter F. Lynch
Catholicism in Southport follows the progress of the Catholic Church in the town during the nineteenth century when the number of Catholics increased from half a dozen in 1800 to about 8,000 in 1900. A shortage of priests and the poverty of the people were the most difficult of many problems facing the church authorities as they endeavoured to provide sufficient churches and school places for the congregation.
The book is divided into three parts, the first of which deals with the years before 1860, during which the parish and school were founded. The second covers the years of expansion up to 1900, by which time another four churches and four schools were established. The third part examines the schools and the mission registers. The first appendix relates a year in the life of a nineteenth century Catholic, and the second gives details of the clergy who served in the town.
Sadly, this book is now out of print, but copies may be available from Broadhursts Booksellers in Southport.
Return to the B&AHRS Home Page